Reading Room Policies
KELSEY READING ROOM REGISTRATION
1. All patrons must sign in and fill out a completed registration form prior to using our materials.
2. Materials are available for use ONLY in the Kelsey Reading Room.
3. Because many of the materials in this department are extremely fragile, only PENCILS shall be used in the Reading Room. The use of ink and ballpoint pens are NOT permitted while using materials in the Reading Room. Pencils and paper are available from the Reference Desk.
4. Placing notebook paper on top of materials and sketching, tracing and/or writing thereon is strictly prohibited. Researchers must exercise extreme care while using all materials and, if, at any time, you have question or concerns about the proper way to handle any book(s) and/or material(s) please see Staff at the Reference Desk.
5. Patrons are allowed up to three books at one time.
6. Please keep all material in its original order; see Staff on how to mark the material you wish to photocopy. If in the course of your research a filing error is detected, please inform the Staff at the Reference Desk.
7. Photocopying is possible depending on the condition of the materials. There is a minimum 24-hour turnaround time on all photocopies, and the decision to permit or prohibit reproduction of any material is at the sole discretion of Cushing Memorial Library. This decision is final. Please consult the Reproduction Policy for more information.
8. The Reading Room computers are for LIBCAT searches only and cell phone usage is not permitted in the Reading Room.
9. No materials will be available to patrons after 5:45 P.M. Monday –Friday; and 12:45 P.M. Saturday. Additionally, researchers must return all borrowed materials 15 minutes prior to closing.
10. Permission to publish any part of these materials must be obtained in writing prior to publication and the Cushing Memorial Library and Archives shall be given credit for any materials used.
KELSEY READING ROOM STUDY GUIDELINES
The guidelines listed below are designed to promote access while also preserving the materials for use by future generations of students and scholars. These policies are based on standards developed and recommended by the leading professional organizations for specialized research facilities, namely the Society of American Archivists, the Association of College and Research Libraries, and the American Association of Museums. These policies are also in keeping with the rules and guidelines in place at similar specialized research facilities around the country. Questions regarding these guidelines can be directed to any Library staff member.
1. Food and drink are not allowed in the Cushing Library.
2. Upon entering the Cushing Library, all patrons must sign in at the reception desk on the first floor. Patrons should also sign out upon leaving the building.
3. Books and other items in the Cushing Library must be used in the Kelsey Reading Room. These items do not check out of the library.
4. The Kelsey Reading Room is not a group study area. The Evans Library as well as the Library Annex both have ample areas reserved for group study.
5. All extraneous books, papers, and other materials must be stored in a locker on the first floor. All coats, backpacks, purses, bags, computer bags, and other materials must also be checked in a locker on the first floor.
6. Upon entering the Kelsey Reading Room, patrons are required to sign in at the reference desk. The Reading Room staff will note any outside materials at that time. On exiting the Reading Room, patrons should also sign out at the reference desk.
7. No pens are allowed in the Reading Room. Pencils as well as notepaper are available at the reference desk.
8. Patrons not using the collections of the Cushing Library must use the tables on the North side of the room. Patrons using the collections of the Cushing Library must use the tables on the South side of the room. Patrons not using the collections may be asked to leave if those tables are needed to accommodate patrons who are using Cushing collections.
9. Cushing staff reserves the right to examine any personal materials being brought into or taken out of the Reading Room and/or the Library.
10. No books may be removed from the shelves in the Reading Room without permission from the Reading Room staff. If permission is granted to remove a book from the shelf, please return the book to the reference desk rather than reshelving it.